POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Ken
Date: 11 Mar 2000 05:49:18
Message: <38CA2519.7A4AFCB5@pacbell.net>
Johannes Hubert wrote:

> And the "non-programmers" would get a language for which the manual
> would actually be *thinner* than it is now, a language that is more
> approachable and easier to learn (because frankly I think, that many of
> you here who advocate POV-Script as an easy language to learn have lost
> perspective a bit, since you alreay *know* POV-Script: sure, newbies
> *can* learn POV-Script, but the language is far from being easy to learn
> and could be much more so in my opinion).

That is a dangerous assumption. I am painfully aware of the problems
I had learning the scripting language in POV-Ray. I think you would
be surprised to learn I had more problems thinking in terms of 3D than
I did learning POV's scripting language. Sure it took some time to
learn what sequence and order items should be placed in the scene file
but it took me much longer to learn position, object control, and
CSG operations than it did the syntax peculiarities. I also think
that the difficulties of learning any new proceedure or scripting
language will be unique for each user of the program. It's like the
guy with a 6th grade education who can do a valve job on a newer
Mercedes and the guy with a college education who can't figure out
how to change the windshield wiper blades.